Sunday, March 12, 2006

Tillman's Friend Enlists



It Looks like Tllman's patriotism is more inspiring than his liberal detractors.


By DAISY NGUYEN
Associated Press Writer

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- A former college teammate of Pat Tillman is following in his footsteps, leaving a career in professional football to join the military.

Pfc. Jeremy Staat, a former defensive lineman who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the St. Louis Rams, graduated from the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot on Friday.
Staat said he was felt compelled to join the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but Tillman, who was his roommate at Arizona State, advised him to stay with professional football until he qualified for retirement benefits.

"He told me, 'You're a good player, you need to get good play.' Then four months later, at his wedding, I learn he's going to the Army," Staat said. "I joked to him, 'You stole my idea,' and he said it had been in the process for a while."

Tillman's death gave him "more motivation" to enlist, Staat said. "I should have been there for him."

Here's to Staat, a hero on and off the field.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Thank you to Tillman, a true hero.

You know, I was watching Jepretardy the other night, and the question had to do with Tillman. NONE of the three contestants knew who he was. My hubby and I looked at each other like, OMG, what alternate dimension did we wake up in?

March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home